Of Course Millennials Prefer User-Generated Content!
There are so many different types of stories that will be generated during SXSW 2014. One of them caught my eye today.
New research on millennials confirms that this generation, soon to have record purchasing power, prefer user-generated content 50% more than traditional media.
This is a super important stat to be conscious of, if you’re a digital marketer, using social media as a major promotional channel. If you’re a business who’s core demo is 18-34 year olds, you’d better pay attention. This information will help you build a successful and engaging content marketing strategy targeting millennials.
This study comes from SXSW’s 4th Annual Social Media Advertising Consortium (SMAC) Influencers Brunch on held Sunday March 9. Crowdtap and Ipsos Media CT in conjunction with SMAC, conducted the study. Nearly 1,000 adult men and women aged 18 to 36 were surveyed.
Millennials Most Influenced By User-Generated Content
Get ready for some crazy stats. When you think about each of these, it’s really not that surprising. Social media consultants, companies, and individual businesses in particular can make use of these insights as they get right into the media habits of millennials and how to reach this lucrative market.
Highlights From The Study:
1. Millennials spend 18 hours per day consuming different media across many different devices.
2. Consuming user-generated content makes up 30% of that time (5.4 hours)
3. Traditional media such as print, television and radio represent 33% of a millennials day
4. Millennials trust information found in user-generated content 50% more than information from traditional media sources.
5. They find user-generated content 35% more memorable than other sources.
6. 71% of millennials engage in social media activity – their preferred type of digital media.
Creative marketers will realize that they have a unique opportunity with using social media to read 18-34 year old millennials. The key is to leverage and influence user generated content and creatively empower their fans, followers, and other consumers to tell the company’s story.
You already know social media is the best way to reach your target market. The trick is to curate and create unique, relevant, and compelling content that users will want to share. Millennials make this easy for you.
For more information on the study and its stats, download Crowdtap’s report, Social Influence: Marketing’s New Frontier.