Your Most Important Social Media Skills To Build Today
If everyone has social media, doesn’t everyone have social media skills?
I know, I know. We all wish that were true. In reality, social media and especially social media marketing isn’t quite so simple.
Social media skills in the workplace require the employee using social media to step beyond their own user experience. They need to think about their audience, about their strategy, about the latest social media tips.
In short, they need to think about social marketing.
What is social marketing?
Social marketing combines two basic skill sets: social media skills and marketing skills. In the current climate, you need both to create a successful campaign.
The fact is, the social media skills required to master social marketing differ from the skills needed to run a personal Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram account.
Refined social marketing skills will result in the ability to build an online community, to promote a brand, and to sell an idea, product, or service using these digital networks. This requires a unique set of social media skills which anyone using social media at work should start building today.
Social Media Skills You Need In Today’s World
According to a recent article from Hootsuite, the most important social media skills are often overlooked. Technical social media skills like analytics, revenue tracking, and SEO combined with creativity, an eye for photography and strong writing chops are some of the most in-demand social media skills today.
Commenters on the Hootsuite article added their own insights. Here are the best social media marketing tips they provided:
- Video editing and multimedia marketing skills: Whether it’s YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat, knowing how to use a camera for both photography and video to create engaging content is a key social media skill for anyone using social media today.
- Graphic design skills: Do you know how to use Photoshop to “brand” the visual content you’re sharing and creating? Knowing how to stay on brand in your visual identity as well as your written identity is key online.
- Customer service skills: Engagement isn’t just about creating content people love–it’s about responding to those who comment on your content, or who have a question for/about your organization. Knowing how to be helpful, diplomatic, and friendly when your only communication tool is your keyboard is a key social media skill.
The Most Important Social Media Skills Are Timeless
Technology may change, social media trends will come and go, but the most important social media skills are timeless.
The ability to adapt to change, think strategically, and manage creative projects will always be in demand, no matter what content or brand you are dealing with.
Social media marketing, like any kind of marketing, should be strategic and campaign-minded with tangible goals, target markets, and consistent reference to analytics and research. Without strategic thinking across all platforms, your social media content probably won’t convert the way you want it to.
That’s where we come in.
VPDM takes a social marketing-minded approach to social media for business. Combined with high-level SEO strategy and engaging content, we know how social media can be strategically used to help organizations reach their goals.
Let us help you get started with a free consultation.
Latest posts by Shauna Vert (see all)
- It’s Time to Check Your Google Local Business Listing - August 26, 2015
- The Most Important Social Media Skills To Build Today - August 18, 2015
- Yes, a Mobile-Friendly Website Affects Your Search Rankings - August 13, 2015